by Brett Wiseman

Winston-Salem, NC -  Another strong effort from the Czech line, timely goaltending, and all in all a full team effort lifted the Carolina Thunderbirds to a 6-3 victory over the Mississippi Sea Wolves Sunday afternoon. 

The win, which came before a crowd of 2,743 at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds Annex, completed a weekend sweep by Carolina and was the Thunderbirds' 11th win over the Sea Wolves in their 14th and final meeting of the regular season.

The penultimate home game of the regular season for the Thunderbirds got off to an inauspicious start. A shot from Mississippi's Kyle Russel banked off the skate of Blake Peavey in front of his own net, wildly changed direction and snuck between the pads of Carolina goaltender Gregg Hussey to put the Sea Wolves in front 1-0 less than five minutes in.

A little over two minutes later, the first Thunderbirds power play netted Carolina's first goal of the afternoon. Jiri Pestuka continued his hot play of late, blasting home a one-timer just fifteen seconds into the man advantage to tie the game at 1.

Four minutes after Pestuka scored, Matt Caranci wired one home to put the Sea Wolves back in front 2-1. A lead than only lasted a minute and 41 seconds.

On another power play Josh Koepplinger jammed home his own rebound behind Blake Weyrick to tie the game at 2.

A one-timer from Ethan Busch-Anderson in the final few minutes of the first gave the Sea Wolves a 3-2 lead. It was the last shot from Mississippi that would find the back of the net. 

Pestuka stuffed home his second of the day and 26th of the season in the midst of a wild net mouth scramble with under a minute remaining in the first. 

Weyrick was injured in the chaotic chance, exited the game and did not return. Joe Sheppard served admirably in relief, but Carolina's offensive firepower was simply too much for he and his Sea Wolf teammates to handle.

Petr Panacek sniped home a wicked wrist shot less than five minutes into the middle frame. His 19th of the season, and third of the weekend, was the only goal of the middle frame.

Gus Ford stickhandled his way to his 45th goal of the campaign, adding an insurance marker eight and a half minutes into the third. Lucas Rowe threw the final dagger with an empty netter to seal the deal at the 18:39 mark of the final frame.

Captain John Buttitta earned third star honors for his two assists on the afternoon. Panacek's goal and assist earned him second star, and Pestuka's two goal effort garnered him first star. Gregg Hussey got stronger in goal as the game went on, stopping 29 of Mississippi's 32 shots.

The Thunderbirds now sit just one point back of the Columbus River Dragons for first place in the Continental Division with just four regular season games remaining. Fittingly, those two teams square off in all four of those remaining games. The first of the 4 comes on Friday night from the Civic Center in Columbus, GA.

Sea Wolves Fall 6-3 in Carolina Finale

By Nick Roesch

Winston-Salem, NC – After scoring three goals in the first period, the (15-33-4) Mississippi Sea Wolves went silent the remainder of Sunday’s game as they dropped a 6-3 final score to the (38-12-2) Carolina Thunderbirds. 

Six combined goals were scored in the opening 20 minutes of play. The Sea Wolves saw theirs come from Kyle Russell, Matt Caranci and Ethan Busch-Anderson. Russell’s goal was his second in as many games. Caranci’s centering drive came during his 300th career professional game. 

The Thunderbirds matched those numbers between Josh Koepplinger and Jiri Pestuka, who scored twice. The second period saw a completely different flow, with one goal being scored by Carolina’s Petr Panacek (4:55) from the high slot to make it 4-3 Thunderbirds. 

Gus Ford of the Thunderbirds showed an individual effort in front of the cage and grew the score to 5-3 at the 8:26 marker. Carolina put the icing on the cake with an empty net tally from Lucas Rowe in the final moments. 

Greg Hussey led Carolina to victory between the pipes with 29 saves. The Sea Wolves goaltending was split up between starter Blake Weyrick and backup Joe Sheppard, who entered the game at 4:55 of the second period. 

The Sea Wolves will head home to begin a two-game series against the Motor City Rockers this Friday, April 7. The opener begins at 7:05pm inside the Mississippi Coast Coliseum. 


  Delaware Sweeps Weekend Series in Watertown

by Jeff Barrett

Watertown, NY - The third game of the weekend , and second in a row against the Delaware Thunder, took place on a rare Sunday evening matchup at the Watertown Municipal Arena, with the Wolves looking to bounce back from a 6-1 loss on Saturday.

It took just nine seconds for the tensions from last night to spill over into this evening. First, Trevor Lord would get called for a roughing penalty right in front of the Watertown bench, which began a series of pushing and shoving matches, which then lead to Charlie Pens getting a whole hand full of Jakub Volf's jersey and dragged him around the ice while the officials tried to separate them. The result would be Pens getting a holding call. Both Pens and Lord got 2 minute minors.

The Thunder struck first again tonight when Esa Patton lit the lamp for his first professional goal, on a blast from the left point, beating Watertown's Ismael Ralston who was getting his first pro start in net to put Delaware up 1-0.

The first heavyweight battle came at the 13:24 mark when Delaware's Richard Pinkowski and the Wolves Tim Payne decided to square up. Payne would end up landing a bunch of right hand lobs before taking Pinkowski to the ice. Both would get 5 minute majors on the play.

The Period ended with Delaware enjoying the 1-0 lead while also outshooting Watertown 20 to 12.

The tempers were kept in check in period number two as both teams settled into offensive mode, and tried to take advantage of some good scoring opportunities. Ralston and Thunder starter Jacob Gnidzeijko were both up to the challenge with both denting some hard shots.

Watertown finally got on the board at the 16.54 mark when Zac Horn was on the receiving end of a sharp Tom Payne pass, and was able to lift the puck over Gnidziejko's shoulder, knotting the game at one a piece. Ismael Ralston also got credited with an assist, his second of the night.

That goal would be the only point of the second period, and send the game to the third tied at 1-1. Watertown outshot Delaware in the frame 26 to 16.

The third period ended up being a scoreless affair that again featured some outstanding goalkeeping at both ends of the ice, which then sent the game to overtime.

Watertown would up outshoot Delaware 4-0 in the extra frame until the Thunders Andrei Ivanov was able to get to the left faceoff circle and rifle a shot across the front of Raslton and to the back of the net, giving Delaware the overtime winner and a sweep of the weekend set.

The Wolves return home next Friday and Saturday nights for their final regular season home games as they host the Port Huron Prowlers.