Wolves Strong Third Period Leads to 6-1 Win over the Mammoth

by Jeff Barrett

Watertown, NY - Friday evening found the Wolves hosting the expansion Elmira Mammoth for the first time this year in game one of a two game weekend between the two teams. The Wolves would strike first when Sam Hrabcak lit the lamp after Mammoth keeper Trevor Micucc pinned the initial shot against the pipe and Hrabcak was able to poke it home, assisted by Elijah Wilson and Fabian Lehner at the 3:18 mark of the period. 

At the mid point of the period the Wolves would take back to back penalties just :19 seconds apart on a Lincoln Gingerich elbowing call, followed by a delay of game when Charlie Pens lifted the puck out of play trying to clear the zone, but the Mammoth were unable to take advantage of the 5 on 3 power play as Watertown keeper Travis Smith was able to turn away several shots to keep Elmira off the board. 

The period would end with the Wolves leading 1-0, outshooting the Mammoth 18-11.

The Wolves would strike early in the second period when Sam Hrabcak dented the back of the net for his second goal of the night, assisted by Evan Carroll and Elijah Wilson. The first altercation of the night would come shortly after at 4:24 when Charlie Pens and Tyler Piekarski engaged each other in a small scrum that didn't amount to much, but ended with them both getting 5 minute majors for fighting, with an extra 2 minutes given to Pens for instigating. 

The Wolves would outshoot the Mammoth 19 to 6 in the second period, but the outstanding play of Mammoth goal keeper Trevor Micucci would keep it just a 2 goal lead for Watertown after 40 minutes of play.

Mathias Tellstrom got the first of his two third period goals at the 4:56 point of the period to give the Wolves a 3-0 lead. The Mammoth would spoil the shutout effort from Watertown goalie Travis Smith after a Kolt Maguire holding penalty at 10:34. It took just 5 seconds from the offensive zone face off for Parker Moskal to slide the puck across the front of the crease to a waiting Justin Levac, who tapped a one timer home in the bottom left corner making the score 3-1.

Mathias Tellstrom netted his second goal of the period at the 13:44 mark, as he fired a shot through the legs of the Mammoth defender Tyler Becker, that sailed to the top right corner of the goal giving Watertown a 4-1 lead. Santino Foti made it 5-1 at 17:59 of the frame, as the puck slid right to the front of the goal, and he was able pull a couple quick fakes to get Micucci to commit low, and Foti would lift a back hander over the sprawling goal keeper. 

The final nail in the coffin was just 24 seconds later when Foti and Mike Mann were able to move the back and forth in front of the Elmira keeper before Mann was able to put it home on the right hand side. 
The Wolves out shot the Mammoth 53-23 for the game. 

Both teams will square off again on Saturday night with the puck dropping at 7:30 in the Watertown Municipal Arena.