Wolves Win in OT, 1-0

by Jeff Bartlett

Watertown, NY - The evening would start with a celebration of last years Commissioners Cup championship in Watertown with the unveiling of the third Commissioners Cup banner in the Watertown Municipal Arena, and the fans were treated with another look at the cup presented to the fans by new head coach Justin Coachman and new President/G.M. Curtis Mosely. 

The first period would end in a scoreless tie, but not without both teams having their opportunity to score several times, but starting Wolves goalkeeper Greg Hussey and the Rockers net minder Trevor Babin were each up to the challenge.. The Wolves would outshoot the Rockers 11 to 9 in the first 20 minutes. The Rockers had one powerplay in the period on a cross checking call to Brendan Hussey, but were unable to convert.

Period number two was much of the same for both teams. Each team had some quality opportunities to score but again with Babin and Hussey each making outstanding saves to keep the game scoreless. Each team would have a powerplay opportunity in the second period but neither could take advantage. Shots on goal in the second were even at 10 shots each.

Period number 3 would be another exhibition of outstanding goalkeeping as both teams were kept scoreless. The Wolves thought they had solved the Trevor Babin puzzle with just over 6 minutes remaining in the third when Sam Hrabcak snuck one underneath Babin on the left pipe, but the goal was immediately waved off by the official standing right over the play. Regulation time would end with a 0-0 score. 

The ensuing overtime period wouldn't last long as Matthew Brown would light the lamp at the 1:16 mark for his first Wolves goal, assisted by Sam Hrabcak and Evan Carroll.

The Wolves would outshoot the Rockers 37-35 for the game. The Rockers were 0 for 4 on powerplays, while Watertown went 0 for 3.

The Wolves return to action Saturday October 21st for the second of two games to open the season against the Motor City Rockers.